Some of the tips and strategies to help you succeed in your learning journey, include ways to:
Keep your mind and body healthy
Effectively manage your time and minimize distractions
Get the most out of your learning
Self-care is important to your successful learning experience. A healthy mind (and body) is a mind ready for learning.
- Express your learning needs: Ask for flexible ways of participating in the class that works for you. This is important for learners who require specific needs, such as a note taker or extended test time.
- Schedule breaks: Get up and walk around, go outside, schedule your distractions, don’t forget to move. Plenty of apps exist to keep you on task and turn off distractions, as well as remind you to get up and take breaks.
- Maintain healthy habits: Your brain, like your body, needs rest and exercise. Get sleep, stay hydrated, go outside, eat well.
Find ways to structure and optimize your time and keep your learning on track.
- Set aside time for learning: Online learning is designed to be modular and flexible. You may find 15 minutes to watch a short video lecture and write a three-sentence reflection post. Dedicate time to learn as you would to exercise or spending time with friends.
- Track deadlines: Add important due dates to a calendar so you don’t miss important deadlines.
- Minimize distractions: As much as you can, minimize distractions both in your physical environment and your digital environment. Close web browser windows not relevant to your learning, keep the TV off, etc.
Community and Social Learning
Find ways to connect with both world-class professors and a global community of passionate classmates.
- Virtually interact with your learning peers: You are not alone! Introduce yourself, answer questions posted by the instructor in the discussion forums, and respond to your peers’ posts.
- Create a social network group: In addition to forums, create a distinct space, such as a Facebook group or a WhatsApp chat, for you and your classmates to connect, share interests, and support each other.
- Create virtual study groups: Keep the line open and find ways to connect with your learning peers in small study groups. Video chat apps are a great way to do this.
To get the most out of online learning, make sure you develop new knowledge and skills in a way that you can retain, apply repeatedly, and adapt to new contexts.
- Make your learning stick: Strictly follow the established learning principles of practice, application, and reflection.
To ensure your newly learned knowledge and skills stick with you, it’s important to repeatedly practice skills, apply knowledge in different contexts, and reflect on what you have learned, especially as you practice and apply in new settings.
- Video strategies: For recorded video, pause and write a brief summary of what you have heard in notes every few minutes. For live video, especially if the video is available to watch later, avoid taking notes. Pay attention to what you are hearing and participate in the discussion to help keep your focus.
There is no end to learning. With the help of the Internet, you have access to an ocean of opportunities where you can avail online classes and learn from the comforts of your home! So don’t wait any longer-Start Learning!